Friday 2 November 2012

3 More Sleeps!

Well, I feel it's only right to update my blog as D-Day is looming at an alarming rate! I can't believe how quick November 5th is approaching! Since I last blogged I had my BYE BYE BRCA BOOBS party in aid of National Hereditary Breast Cancer Helpline and raised an amazing amount...£436! I also had a lovely email from a local shopping centre to say that they would transfer half of the donations they collected in a Breast Cancer Wishing well located in the shopping centre to the helpline which was more than £500! An amazing result which is very welcome by the helpline.

So, how am I feeling now it's nearly here. I've got to be honest, I keep having moments where I am just on the verge of tears, and occasionally I've just let them come!  A couple of weeks ago was quite an upsetting time. I just couldn't stop crying.  My boyfriend, Andy, and I went for a drive and one thing he said, put it all into perspective..."We either face this task, or battle Breast Cancer, and I know what I would rather do".  Sometimes, someone says something that you will never forget, this was one of those times. To have that support is invaluable.  And I've got to say, since then, I don't think I've cried as much.

One thing I think is going to be strange after my surgery (apart from the obvious!) is that, although I will still and always will be a BRCA1 carrier, I will no longer be at risk from Breast Cancer.  This risk is something I have lived with since I tested positive 7 years ago, so it will be quite strange the risk not being there anymore! It's quite hard to explain, as in a way, I kind of feel special! I know this sounds absolutely bizarre!  But it's something that instantly bonds you to other BRCA carriers. Its like people who you went to school with, you always have that bond with them...same same :-).  But I know that bond will never be broken, and I am so lucky to have made some fantastic friends who I have got to know through inheriting this gene.  That, I will be forever thankful to BRCA for!

So tonight, I have more or less packed my case, apart from a few last minute things.  We will be travelling down to London on Sunday, ready for surgery on Monday morning! So I will sign off now, the next time I log on on I will Breast Cancer risk free! :-)

Thank you for reading, and as ever I welcome your comments.

Will report back soon :-)

Michelle
xx


1 comment:

  1. Good luck on Monday, I will pray all goes well, and will be so happy for you to not have to worry about the looming "C" word!!! I know it is a difficult task, but I think only one God would give to those who can handle and spread the word of being proactive and prevention!! Please let me know how things go!!!

    XO Kim

    ReplyDelete